Stretch marks are thin scars that emerge when skin is rapidly stretched. Although these jagged lines appear more often on women – 90 percent of women get stretch marks after pregnancy – the condition can affect men as well. Thankfully, Urban Skin Solutions offers a number of treatment options to help address the appearance of stretch marks on the upper arms, thighs, hips, abdomen and breasts.
If you have unwanted stretch marks, we can help. Contact our Charlotte location today online or at (704) 971-9191 to schedule a consultation with a member of our skilled and highly trained staff. Our knowledgeable team of licensed aestheticians and laser technicians can help patients of all skin tones. Whether you have black skin, brown skin or any shade between, we can help find the ideal stretch mark treatment for you.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks result from the tearing or stretching of the dermis, a layer of skin between the epidermis and subcutaneous tissues. They primarily appear around the stomach, breasts, thighs, calves, hips, lower back and upper arms.
Stretch marks are most commonly caused by:
- Pregnancy: This is the predominant cause of stretch marks in women. Due to the rapid expansion of a woman’s abdominal area during pregnancy, the probability that she will develop stretch marks is high. Women who have multiple pregnancies may notice new stretch marks with each new term.
- Obesity and weight gain: Obesity and swift weight gain are among the most frequent reasons that stretch marks occur. The pace and extent of your weight gain can have a significant impact on the amount and size of the stretch marks that emerge.
- Weight lifting: Stretch marks can also affect people who are in peak physical condition. Even when they are in great shape, weightlifters and athletes who rapidly gain muscle mass are also susceptible to stretch marks; the muscles simply expand faster than the skin can handle. These types of stretch marks occur mostly on the shoulders and arms.
- Growth spurts: Stretch marks can appear any time the body expands or grows faster than the skin’s natural elasticity can accommodate. That is why rapid growth spurts, especially during puberty, can cause stretch marks among teenagers.
- Hormonal imbalances: When hormones are not properly balanced, collagen and elastin fibers can tear over stretched skin. Because hormonal imbalances often occur during pregnancy, puberty, weightlifting and obesity, it’s not easy to pinpoint exactly which factor is responsible for certain cases of stretch marks.
Stretch Mark Treatments at Urban Skin Solutions
Urban Skin Solutions offers a wide range of treatments that utilize the latest techniques and advanced technology to treat stretch marks. We can help revitalize and retexture your skin to give you the youthful, healthy complexion you deserve.
The best way to determine which stretch mark treatment is best for your situation is to schedule a personal consultation with a member of our experienced team. We will work to understand your medical history and aesthetic goals and offer a recommendation that meets your needs and budget.
Some of the stretch mark treatments we offer at Urban Skin Solutions include:
Schedule Your Consultation Today
We know how frustrating it can be to live with stretch marks. Call us today at (704) 971-9191 to schedule a time to visit our Charlotte facility to discuss your treatment options. We proudly serve patients with all types of ethnic skin.